I recently decided to start a new fleet for Battlefleet Gothic. I’ve always had a soft spot for Battlefleet Gothic; the miniatures are great and have really stood the test of time. What’s more, I really enjoyed painting my Imperial Fleet and, with a few simple techniques, the models are quick and easy to paint. For my second fleet I settled on Orks as I have always liked the race and I really like the models with their ‘aquatic predator’ look. I also managed to pick up a few ships quite cheaply on ebay (which, coincidentally, work out at exactly 500 points) which was pleasing as a number of BFG ships sell for crazy prices since the game was discontinued.
One thing that is worth noting about both my Ork and Imperial fleets is the way I have based them. Although I have used the standard GW flying bases I have replaced the fragile stems with lengths of brass rod. This gives the stands increased durability and, although cutting and filing all of that brass rod was a real pain, is definitely worth the effort. As I think BFG stands look better painted black anyway it does not matter that you lose the transparency of the plastic.
If you are going to do this than I suggest you find a thickness of brass rod which fits snugly in the hole in the base of the stand and then use a drill bit to widen the sockets on the ships. Don’t worry if the rod is a bit loose as you can always secure it with a bit of putty.
BFG models really benefit from drybrushing and washing which are the main techniques I have employed here. The models were basecoated with a 50/50 mix of Leadbelcher and Tin Bitz. After this they were drybrushed Leadbelcher before being washed with Nuln Oil followed by Agrax Earthshade. A quick drybrush of Necron Compound brought them to the stage you see here. Not bad for an afternoon’s work. Now all I have to do is paint in the details.