I have spent most of the last week busy with a modelling knife, steel ruler and a tub of PVA glue. Here are the results: some ruined buildings for Mordheim. I started with the building on the right as I wanted to begin with quite a simple building before moving on to anything more complex. However, I soon got carried away and constructed the more intact building on the left. Both buildings were constructed out of foamcore which was cut to shape and then distressed with a modelling knife in order to achieve a more ruined look. As you can see, both buildings are still works in progress and still need more work. I plan on basing these and adding rubble and other details to the bases. I will also add a coat of textured paint the the exterior of the walls.
The look I went for is the half-timbered houses which are a main feature of Empire architecture. This was achieved by gluing on strips of wood purchased at a hobby shop. I also detailed the exteriors with some GW plastic pieces I bought online. This helps tie the models in with the Warhammer Fantasy aesthetic and prevents them from simply looking like ‘historical’ buildings’. It is also a quick and easy way of adding some visual interest. With the more intact building I went one step further and added some interior detail including roof supports and a staircase in order to allow characters access to the upper floors. I also plan on making some ladders for the same purpose.
Blood on the Streets
I have also purchased the Mordheim boxed game and the ‘Blood on the Streets’ building set. Although I originally received the boxed game for Christmas 1999 the buildings have since been thrown away. I am reminded of an entertaining article I read in The Telegraph about the ‘four ages of collecting’ and how one of these is buying back all of the things you collected as a kid but subsequently threw away later in life .
My plan is to rebuild all of the original cardstock buildings using foamcore in order to get thicker, more realistic looking walls (the card walls really are too thin). I am also going to upscale the buildings by 50% in order to fit with the scale of my own buildings. While the card buildings are great for playing straight out of the box I feel that remaking them in foamcore will look a lot better and tie them in with the scratch-built buildings.
Here is my mock-up for the ruined tower house from the set:
This is quite a rough mock-up held together with dress-making pins just to get the size right and the placement of all of the details. The finished building will be textured with plasticard to look like the stonework seen on the card art. I also plan on embellishing the building a little with other Empire touches. The inspiration from this came from one of the wonderful buildings pictured in Warhammer Armies: The Empire (see the bottom photo on p.81). Below is a rough plan of how I want it all to look:
Have a great week,